Monday, August 8, 2011

The Magpie

For some reason we have a bird that has decided to sing all night long. Our neighbors have a tree in their yard next to a fairly bright street light. I don't know if that bird thinks the light is the sun, but (not kidding you) the bird started calling at 11:32 last night. This bird has an amazing repertoire.

To back up a little, this problem started for us back in April. We figured we could live with it, it was mating season after all. It started out that the bird started calling at about 4 in the morning so I would get up, shut the windows and tried to ignore the piercing sound. But this continued for many weeks. Sometimes the bird woke up other small song birds and we would have a spring morning chorus at midnight.

In mid July or so the sounds stopped and we were relieved that the bird was finally gone. Well he must have been on sabbatical, learning tons of new sounds to sing all night long. So last night it started at 11:30 right? When I woke up at 3 it was still going strong. I had to shut our windows to get back to sleep.

This bird imitates car alarms (you know the ones that go off and make five different sounds or so?) light sabers and lazer guns, it quacks like a duck, and has so may songs that I can't tell if the sounds are repeating or not since I hear so many. In terms of musical talent I give this bird full marks. But please, someone want to come shoot it for me?

No comments:

Post a Comment